Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year New Routine

I have finally figured out how our weeks are going to look with homeschooling. Avalynn and I are both very excited to actually get started. We are going to be our own alphabet study. We will have a new letter every week, which will be introduced on Mondays. Tuesdays we will go to story time at the library and pick out books that start with our letter. Wednesdays we will learn about an animal that starts with our letter as well. Thursdays will be craft day with the craft involving the letter of the week. Fridays we will go back to the library for story time. We will also review what we have learned during the week. We may add in learning numbers at the same time but I haven't decided on that yet. We will be learning American Sign Language (ASL) for each letter and animal we learn about. Our school time will be for a short time each day. We will be using everyday experiences for learning as well. Our trips to the store will now be learning opportunities. I am making letter cards that we will take with us to play letter search and find. I'm hoping this will keep Avalynn happy and busy while shopping and help reinforce what we are learning at home.

Treyton will most likely be right in the middle of all of this too. I'm thinking that these letter studies each week will help him with his speech. I've done some research and asked a few speech therapist friends what I should be doing and hearing letter sounds is at the top of the list. We have been doing pretty much every thing else that is suppose to help. I am also looking into getting him evaluated by early intervention so that we can make sure that we are doing the best possible thing for him. I will also be talking to our pediatrician about if we may need to get his tongue clip because of the slight tongue tie that he has. I'm really hoping we don't have to do that but it is looking like that is part of our problem. The tongue tie could be restricting his tongue from making certain letter sounds and blends making it harder for him to form words.

We are all looking forward to what this next year has in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment